[SLUG] Broken symlinks

aardvark llama anisotropy9 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 22:42:00 BST 2002

>Gavin wrote:
>fuser isn't really useful in this case, as the file is only used for
>short periods at a time
Sure. (So far I have been trying to keep away from any prior knowledge of
dcop -- probably because I have none -- and to give some general pointers
about trouble-shooting stuff. It's (in part) what I get paid to do).

>(za at martian:za)$ fuser .DCOPserver_martian__0
Sure. However, fuser has some interesting command line options that can get
round some of this. Also there is alway lsof.

>Like Wil says (It is "Wil" right?;)
I'll normally take two l's -- as in will -- but apart from direct abuse, I'm
amenable to most naming conventions ;)

[...elided the description of the excellent commands command and type...]
I also tend to find file -- which tells you what type of file you are
dealing with -- and which -- which tells you where the executable that will
be run lives quite useful too. (I can't remember where I heard it but I
remember somebody like Sun claiming that 85% of problems under unices were
either permission or path related.) There are lots of other cool things but
as Gavin so rightly says:
>I hope we havent confused you even more by going into irrelevant >things.
Wibble, wibble,

:)w