[SLUG] Suse 8 network problem

Chris More chris at staxton.com
Wed Sep 25 09:46:00 BST 2002

Hi...

Can anyone help with a problem I have with my mini-itx machine when running
suse 8.

I am trying to network a win98 box to a mini-itx running suse through a
crossover network cable, but I can't get either machine to ping each other.

I can dual boot the mini-itx into win xp and have absolutely no problems when
networking xp to win98.    Which means there are no hardware problems.

Under suse, as far as I can see, the network card is installed ok and is even
receiving and sending packets (when queryed using ifconfig).

It seems to be something to do with the suse setup because I can't even ping
127.0.0.1 without manually adding eth0 to default route.

Its been driving me nuts for about a week now... Any ideas?  Have I missed
something obvious?  like not being able to use a crossover cable with linux?

Thanks
Chris

--
http://www.staxton.com