[SLUG] Apologies To All Members

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 19:52:01 BST 2003

Hi All,

Many apologies to all Scarborough LUG members for my absense at the last LUG
meeting and the Wednesday IRC chats. I have unfortunately being suffering
(badly) from a stomach virus infection which has 'took me out' literally for
two weeks now. I am getting better now however so enough said here.

I know that most of the jobs have now been allocated but I am prepared to help
Ian out with the SLUG Website (if Ian is happy with that - your call Ian) and
also have a good library of Linux distros that I would be willing to copy for
any user that lends me the required CD-Rs. I know Jamie has said that he
wants to carry on with the SLUG software library but perhaps I could help out
here also (your call there Jamie).

In addition to this I will also continue to post solutions on the mailing list
for any question asked that I know (or have a good idea of) the answer to.

For anyone wanting to try out the new version of Slackware Linux (v9) or
Mandrake Linux (v9.1) then hold fire until next month as both distros are
going to be on the LXF (Linux Format) DVD one per side I believe. I hope LXF
have got a decent ISO image system worked out for those of you who know what
I am talking about!!

Recently someone posted a message onto the mailing list about WinModems. A
really good place to start looking for WinModem information is
http://www.linmodems.org. As already pointed out by several LUG members
WinModems can be a nightmare to get working and it is best to purchase an
external modem. Sometimes though it's difficult or not possible (especially
with Laptops) to use anything but a WinModem and it's suprising how many of
these things can be made to work under Linux although it usually does mean
using closed source drivers. Doing a search of the Internet I have discovered
various sites where the authors claim to have got Intel chipped WinModems
working but I could not find any information what-so-ever about the specific
chip model that the member posted. Finally from somewhere in LinModems.org
there is a direct link to the Intel website for Linux modem drivers but the
members model was not present in the list.

Try http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/support/drivers_linux.htm

Kind regards to all,

Paul Teasdale.