[SLUG] Geeklog and the Lug Website

Ian Eade at IGM ieade at igmwebdesign.info
Sat Aug 2 02:43:01 BST 2003

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System
ICQ: 140365501 | Linux User: #314423

<snip>

> > I see no reason why Geeklog cannot be hacked into shape and then
> > people can get on with using it. Formatting and extra
> features can be
> > removed and the things that we need can be developed. Lets have a
> > quick reminder of what Geeklog can do:
>
> > Categorised Articles
> *TICK*
>
> > Static Pages
> *TICK* I Think. In my view all the pages should look static.
> The cms should be invisible.

Is this possible? Static pages are pages which are created by ourselves
and use the CMS functions so they blend into the style of the CMS.

> > Article Submission
> *CROSS* unnecessary. You should be able to add new article,
> letting other people means passwords/logins etc. Unless you
> let anonymous posters. The amount of articles you get will be
> small, it will be simple enough to do it yourself.

So you're suggesting manual article submissions and editions? When the
CMS goes live I assume that article submissions and related requests
will go to your email address and you are going to sort them out?

> > Calendar
> *CROSS* I think a list would be better. The calendar looks
> daft when it is half empty.

I prefer a more positive outlook in that the calendar is in fact not
half empty but rather that it is half full. Anyway given that in
practice there are only 64 events (weekly IRC, monthly SLUG) per year a
page for IRC events and a page for SLUG events should do.

> > FAQ Page
> *TICK*
> Its a good idea, and something that has been suggested
> before. I think this could be done easily using any system
> though. Gets a tick anyway because we should have one :)

We are using "any system", namely Geeklog's rather nice FAQ manager

> *TICK*
>
> > Polls
> * CROSS*

No polls? How do measure the Linux pulse within Scarborough? Shame on
you!

> > Links Page
> *TICK*
> Though we already have one.. and so does every other page on
> the web. Not exactly a feature is it?
>
> > Stats
> *CROSS*
> Does anyone other than you really need to know? They could be
> quite embarrassing
> :)
>
> > Print Stories
> *TICK*
> I have honestly never used a print button on a web page ever.
> It might be useful though.
>
> > Email Article
> *CROSS* Unnecessary.
>
> > Article Comments		*CROSS*

Can be handy for threaded discussions?

> > Article Dates			*TICK*
> > User Accounts			*CROSS* (thats an extra
> big cross btw)
> > Scaleable page architecture	*?*
> > Modular code design
> > PHP scripted			*TICK*

> > MySQL database driven		*Who cares?*

I do as it saves people from manually hacking pages and things

> > Admin assignment for features	*Admin assignment for
> all features.

In theory the Geeklog allows for admins for nearly everything, so if you
want to feel important then an admin position is yours?

And Jamie scored:
CROSS = 7
TICK = 8

Well that seems productive, would it be too much to ask that the CMS
issue be raised at the next SLUG meeting?

Ian