[SLUG] Mailing Lists!

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Tue Aug 26 21:34:01 BST 2003

> Now you know why  i hate Mailing lists, you never know where you are, top,
> bottom, middle, who's who, when why and how.  What's it all about, who
> started first, who was last........Fcuk it now i'm lost!
>
> Where do you add your bit and when you do contribute you get a kicked in
the
> teeth and your head caved in!
>
> They are CRAP!
>
> Siht! i've broken the thread again!
2 spelling mistakes in one message.  You really should try harder.  :-)  On
a more serious note...

Guess we could always have a forum, but as a regular user of those people
top post, some delete the entire message, some quote the appropriate
parts...the only thing you win is that you're forced to view it in a
threaded way, but as people have said you can do it in your mail client too.
Well, most of them anyway.  And if we have a forum as well as a mailing list
it's like splitting the community up and that's surely a Bad Thing.

I know big open source projects that use a mailing list as their central hub
for passing around patches and discussing stuff.  I'm on the Parrot
development one and people there generally don't top post and so on, and it
works just fine.  I guess it's all about educating the community to use them
properly.

Jonathan