[SLUG] .htaccess files

Mark Feather akwe-xavante at firenet.uk.com
Sat Aug 30 00:37:00 BST 2003

Hi Gavin,

The following resolved my scripting problem:

<VirtualHost akwe.freeshell.org>
ServerName akwe.freeshell.org
DocumentRoot /www/ag/a/akwe
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/ag/a/akwe/cgi-bin/"
</VirtualHost>

Contents of /etc/hosts:

192.168.0.95    akwe.freeshell.org
127.0.0.1        locahost

On the Linux box everything works perfectly, the servers root html directory
can be found at http://localhost/ and all htaccess files and scripts work
and from the correct cgi-bin.   The virtual hosts root can be found at
http://akwe.freeshell.org/ and all htaccess files and scripts work and from
the correct cgi-bin.

On the Windows box things are slightly different......When i punch in
http://192.168.0.95/ i get the virtual hosts html files and all its htaccess
files and scripts work correctly and from the correct cgi-bin.   If i punch
in http://akwe.freeshell.org/ i get a STD IE error message "page cannot be
displayed".   I can no longer get the servers root html directly at all.

I think i can see why this is happening but i haven't a clue how to resolve
the problem, i don't even know where to start looking for help on this one.

Do you use a DNS server or a masquerading one your LAN?   Ouch! Sorry don't
know!  How do i find out, could this be my problem?

Mark