[SLUG] Crossover Office

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Wed Dec 3 21:26:20 GMT 2003

A news article caught my attention the other week. It announced that Codeweavers (http://www.codeweavers.com) had added support for Macromedia Software to it's Crossover Office software.

Crossover, if you have not heard of it before, is an application based on the Wine project. It core aim is to run windows productivity applications, such as Office, Visio, Photoshop and Quicken - and quite a bit more.

Anyway, I downloaded the 30 day trial and installed it. Installing was a breeze , I had no dependancy problems and it only took a couple of minutes. I set to work installing Dreamweaver. This was a simple affair of loading Crossover office, clicking a few buttons and running the Dreamweaver setup program. Crossover Office installs a section in the start menu to run the programs from. When you launch an application, it integrates seamlessly with the gnome or kde enviroment. You really wouldn't have any idea that it was running through wine. Even printing works through cups.

Macromedia Dreamweaver and Flash run perfectly. It is a little slower than the native version, but you wouldn't notice unless you compared them side by side. There is a screenshot of it running on mine, here: http://adamsj.sdf-eu.org/snapshot3.jpg

Some of you would be horrified to know that I even installed Internet Explorer. In fact, I am a bit horrified by that.

In short, it's definitely worth a look if you currently use any of the supported software in a Windows enviroment. See the homepage at: http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice/

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System
ICQ: 140365501 | Linux User: #314423