[SLUG] asdl?

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Wed Dec 17 23:45:55 GMT 2003

> while waiting for my exchange to be upgraded in march so i could have
> broadband
> remembering the compatibly issue's on hardware so my guess that us linux
> users will have that problem with certain I.S.P as the help desk supports
> microsoft and apple (never used help desk anyway) the thing is i am guessing
> that they give you a free modem (with a 12 month contract of course)
> which modem or I.S.P's should i avoid?

Hey Fintan,

I'm quite suprised that no one has replied to this thread, because I know that
at least two regular members have broadband :) The isp that I hear most about is
Gio Internet (http://www.giointernet.com). They have very good prices, if you
are willing to source your own modem or router.

Modem wise, it is a bit tricky. Various USB dsl modems are supported, but not
all. The Alcatel Speedtouch is supported under linux by the manufacturer, but
its a bit pricey at 60 quid. There are a lot of oem modems floating about that
use the Connexant chipset, some of these are supported. See
'http://sourceforge.net/projects/accessrunner/'. You can pick thos eup for about
30 quid.

Routers are a bit more expensive, though they have advantages over a modem.
Someone that owns one will be able to explain better than me.

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Im not an adsl convery yet, so if you manage
to get it all working, let us know :)

Jamie

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System