Fwd: Re: [SLUG] Harddisc's & partitioning.

Jamie Adams jamie.adams at myrealbox.com
Sun Feb 9 15:40:01 GMT 2003

>The only thing is, I can't remember how it was done.  I know >I should have written down the sequence of commands >and the output from them, but I didn't copy them as I >should have.  Doh! :(
>
>I know I used 'parted' with 'rm /dev/hdb' but I'm sure there >was more to it before the 'mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb' was >issued.  I was hoping one of you might be able to give me >the correct sequence of commands to repeat this if >necessary.  To complete this thread for the archives, if >nothing else. Or is there a log file somewhere that I might >find the details of what we did?

My memory is hazy too.. Wednesday was a long time ago.

As I remember it, you had a couple of partitions on hdb, so we removed them with 'rm [partition number]' from within parted. This left hdb blank.

We learnt from Gav that you can just lay a filesystem straight to the disk with 'mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb'. dada!

Then we created a mount point for it in 'mnt', and added a line to /etc/fstab to make sure its mounted at boot time.

Easy! .. When you know how. Which I now do.