[SLUG] The Linux Uprising

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Tue Feb 25 18:36:02 GMT 2003

Good stuff.  :-)  I think Linux is getting to the stage where it can
seriously be considered as a desktop operating system.  It looks and feels
slick, (Open|Star) Office provide a good office toolset that is compatible
with MS Office and getting towards being as functional (it seems to miss
anything like MS Access though).  There are tools to let you browse the web,
send email etc pretty much just as well as you could under Windows.  There's
less and less that you lose when you migrate, especially as WINE gets
better.  With .NET and the Mono (http://www.go-mono.org/) project, it's
going to make it easier for developers to migrate their software from
Windows to Linux too.

Hail Linux... ;-)

Jonathan

--