[SLUG] Cron's

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Thu Jan 23 17:10:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

Last night Jamie and I briefly discussed our ever increasing /var/log/messages
files.  I had a proper look at mine today.  it seems I have one particular
message which is made every minute.  (Guaranteed to fill log files that!)
The message in question is;

'Jan 23 16:33:00 localhost CROND[2575]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S
/var/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner)'

Looking at man pages led me to; # less /var/spool/cron/mail

In which I find;

# Retry failed deliveries once per minute.
* * * * * /usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner

Which would seem to me, to be the culprit!  I'd now like to know how I can
stop this?  I'm tempted to simply comment out the `* * * * * /usr/bin/python
-S' line with a #, temporaraly, which might stop the cycle of events.  But
doesn't tell me why it started.  I can't see from the log which failed
delivery started all this, is there any other way I can tell?

Can anyone give me a clue about what's really going on or where I should be
looking?

I'm sure Jamie might be interested.  Last night he said his /var/log/messages
file was over 22Mb.  ;)

Cheers

Al

P.S.  and yes! I've been looking at 'logrotate' to help clear my log files. ;)