[SLUG] New Meeting Schedule

Gavin Baker za at supercowpowers.org
Mon Jan 27 18:38:07 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:31:09 -0000
"Adams, Jamie" <Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi All, Sorry for the lengthy email. Get a cuppa and put your feet up
> before you start :)
>
> First of all, Tuesdays continue to be a bad day for people to meet up.
> I am thinking of moving the monthly meeting day to a Wednesday or
> Thursday. These days are the days that the landlord of the Cricketers
> says he has free most of the time. Please let me know of your
> preference. This should help alleviate some of the hassle tying the
> date down near to the time.

Fine by me.

> Also, since Gavin volunteered to do a talk on firewalling principles
> (yes you did!),

Do you have any proof? ;)
(just kidding)

> I thought we might put together a schedule of talks.
> Volunteer to do a talk on a subject of your choice. Chances are we can
> occupy a few months talk slots already, so im thinking you would have
> miles of time to prepare something. It doesn't have to be something
> major (thought it can be!), just something you think a wider audience
> might be interested in.
>
> I would like to have a writeup of the talks, so we can put something
> useful on the website for others, or those that were not able to make
> it to the meeting. Im thinking that we could put one of the
> volunteered machines to use as a presentation machine if its needed.
>
> If you don't fancy presenting, suggest a topic and someone else may
> volunteer.
>
> Once we have a couple of dates confirmed. I will contact the local rag
> and ask if they will give us a bit of publicity. Fingers crossed we
> should have something interesting to do at meets, and get a few more
> people though the door.
>
> Gavin, did you say that you could spread yours out into a few smaller
> sections? IE, over a couple of meets?

It depends on what everyones presentation-time saturation threshold is.

Without going into too much depth, I think we could do 4 1.5hr
presentation/demonstrations on this.

1) Basic Networking (IP addressing, network interfaces, subnet masks,
the resolver, arp...)
2) Basic TCP/IP (Sockets, Ports, tcp/ip/udp packets, basic services..)
3) Basic Firewalls (Filtering Packets, What/Why/How..)
4) SuperUberAdvanced Firewalls (SNAT, DNAT, MASQUERADING, mangling,
stateful firewalls etc..)

If everyone understands 1, we could start with 2. Just explaining each
would take less than 1.5hrs, but demonstrating them is more important,
right?

I'm flexible anyway, and someone could do a talk after/inbetween or
whatever, to break it up, or I could maybe get 1 and 2 into 1.5hrs.

What do you think?

> To get the ball rolling, I will volunteer to do a talk on the Linux
> Email System (for dialup users) showing how to make use of inbuilt
> utilities such as SMTP servers and Mail Delivery Agents.

Looking forward to it :)

Regards,
Gav