[SLUG] Compile the driver source files!

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Sun Jul 27 20:23:01 BST 2003

> I don't think you need to run ./Makefile at all. Try running the command
> 'make'
> or 'make -f Makefile' in the directory containing the makefile.
>
> Thanks to those of you  that are helping, i have run the command "make"
and
> what happens is displayed below.
>    ~~
> <snip>
>    ~~
>   $(error Linux kernel source not found)
> endif
>
> I am using SuSE, i'm guessing here but is the file looking in the wrong
> places for info its looking for!?  If so where should it be looking in
SuSE
> and do i need to alter these few lines to suite my distro?
Here's my guess, but I may well be wrong.  I believe that most distros don't
install the kernel source by default.  SuSE uses RPMs, right?  I believe
there is a kernel source RPM you need to put on.  Drivers often need to
compile against the kernel, thus why it's source is needed.  BTW, make sure
that any kernel source RPM you put on matches the version number of the
kernel itself!  :-)

As for looking in the wrong place, I'm guessing you are referring to this
line:-
    #KSRC :=/usr/src/ksrc/RedHat/7.2/linux-2.4.7-10alt-ent
It is curious, but if makefiles are like most scripting languages, the #
denotes a comment.  Thus, that line is commented out (ignored by make).  I
may be wrong, I can only half figure out what the makefile is doing, though
it is fairly clear that it is looking in different locations to try and find
the kernel source, and then printing out the error if it doesn't find it.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan