[SLUG] Geeklog and the Lug Website

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Wed Jul 30 22:39:00 BST 2003

Okay, I know the deadline it just about up but before anything is done I would
like to add my final 2 cents.

I have been looking at geek-log again and these are my thoughts:

It *still* looks terrible. Somehow it still looks like a prebuilt out of
the box CMS. Which in my opinion gives the impression that not much work has
gone into it. And it looses any individuality the site had.

It also looks way too busy. The fact is that the CMS capabilities are not going
to be
used that often. Even the mailing list dries up sometimes. Half the categories
are going to stay empty for a long time. If you have a cms like geek-log it gives
the impression that the site is going to be updated often. That will not be the
case. In my opinion we need something more simplistic, that can fit into a
simple clean theme. Maybe a bit more like the page we have now. A cms is
certainly a good idea, but I dont think Geel Log is the package we want.

Currently the pages do not render well in all browsers. For example the DHTML
navigation bar does not fit the screen in Mozilla (unless thats my font
settings). Also, and (I know this will be irrelevant for most people) it does
not render well in text browsers.

I showed it to my brother yesterday and the first thing he said was 'ugh'. I
took it that he did not mean that in a nice way.

I could probably go on picking faults, but I wont.

In short, I hate it. I think it would be a huge let down to the group to have
this serve as the website. It makes us look unprofessional and amateurish. But
thats just my opinion. :)

Jamie

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System