[SLUG] Geeklog and the Lug Website

Ian Eade at IGM ieade at igmwebdesign.info
Thu Jul 31 19:52:01 BST 2003

It strikes me that "we" are missing the point a bit with the CMS/Geeklog
issue. Pointing out any aesthetical or cross browser anomalies is
largely irrelevant as any errors will be present in whatever system is
implemented and will have to be sorted out as time goes by. Also bearing
in mind that the old/present site is by no means cross browser
compatible or built to appeal to the largest spread of web browsers.

The original statement remains:

"We need a CMS which allows website visitors (SLUG members and the
public) to access (categorised) articles about Linux related issues. The
system should allow for article submissions and things like a calendar,
polls etc would be nice."

I personally don't want to manually edit things when something happens
and to my knowledge no one opposed this view.

Geeklog is (by comparative standards) a simple CMS, is fully
configurable and has the required features. If Geeklog is not the answer
then what is? And there's no pointing wafting lyrical about things, if
there is a more ideal solution what's its URL? Or if we are to build our
own CMS then why will it be more appropriate than an "out of the box"
CMS? Unless of course the new CMS is to be a group project?

The bottom line is that we have the tools and the experience/knowledge
to build whatever we want, so lets stop spending time worrying about
trivialities and lets start concentrating on getting something sorted.

Ian