[SLUG] Debian and mozilla!

Adams, Jamie Jamie.Adams at homegroup.org.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:52:01 BST 2003

> I can see I'll have to do something similar until I find out
> how I can install packages which are not included in the
> distro's disk's.
>
> Regards
>
> Al

Hi Al,

Adding other sources to download from is pretty straight foreword. There
is a program that will do it all for you.

Run 'apt-get install netselect' run it and it will search through the
whole list of mirrors to find the fastest (and hopefully the closest)
mirror for you. It will create a sources.list file in your current
directory, just copy this over the one in '/etc/apt/'.

The other way to do it is to head over to www.debian.org/mirrors/ and
choose one which is near you. You then put it in your sources.list
manually following the example syntax:

     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
     deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
contrib non-free
     deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

After this just run 'apt-get update' to fetch a list of updated
packages, then 'apt-get upgrade' to install them. It can take quite a
while the first time as the files on the cd are pretty old!

Hope this helps.

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

http://www.star.net.uk