[SLUG] I'm impressed...

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Thu Mar 6 19:39:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

Just for those who were on the IRC meet last night (and anyone else
interested), I tried out hooking my USB Archos Jukebox MP3 player (with
internal hard disk for storing all my music!).  Under Mandrake Linux 9, it
was identified right away and mounted, and I could access it.  Brilliant.
In fact, it beat doing it under windows, which asked for drivers off a CD!

I also got my (motherboard based) sound card working.  I couldn't even get
that to go under Windows 2000, 98 SE managed it.  Under Linux to get it to
work I had to go into the BIOS and turn Plug & Play on the IRQs I thought it
used off.  Once that was done, it picked up on it at once.  I installed it
as a Sound Blaster rather than what is actually is (though it said it had
drivers for it, it failed to work using those).

Anyway, I'm quite impressed with all of this.  I can see myself moving to it
as my OS of choice over windows in not all that long....

Jonathan