[SLUG] Geeklog

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 6 18:47:01 BST 2003

>Paul
>
>A good example of how things could go, if the Geeklog had just 1 column
>and was stripped of its name (call the directory content or foo or
>something arbitary) then we would have the benefits of a cms without the
>(inherently percieved) stigma. Whilst building our own cms may seem like
>a thrilling prospect we would only be covering old ground, after all the
>geeklog can provide:
>
>* user management (if required)
>* categorised article submissions, with or without logging in and with
>or without filtering etc
>* good calendar functions (database driven so functions can be used
>around the site to show events etc)
>* good polling functions
>* good module plugins (download manager etc)
>* section managers, enabling you to spread the load (polls, calendar
>etc)

The long and short of it Ian is that I am in agreement with you (and have
been all along). I personally have no stigma using Geeklog and, as you say,
all the hard work is done for you. In addition there are lots of addons
already out there just waiting to be investigated and, if found useful,
used. I only put up my small demo to show that we could indeed develop our
own CMS but did point out it would take time, effort & knowledge. I do
however think it would be a good learning exercise, good fun and something I
would be prepared to do even if it's not necessarily the right track.

Something I would write for Geeklog (or what ever path we take) is a web
based submission form to the SLUG mailing list. Who knows there may even be
a customisable addon to do this? I'm fed up with typing these in my lunch
hour at work, copying them to floppy and then posting them at home. I do
this because I'm not sure our company will take kindly to subscribing to the
mailing list at work although, to be honest, I have not asked them as such.

>Personally I would prefer to hack geeklog into what we want and benefit
>from the work that its authors have done, rather than have (many?)
>people spend (much) time and effort in developing a system which is
>basically a shadow of geeklog without its benefits and potential
>scalability possibilities. Maybe a demo of how geeklog could be hacked
>is required?

I too would prefer to hack Geeklog and had actually started hacking a copy
on my own PC just to see what could be done before this posting thread
started. I also agree that we should spend a bit more time hacking Geeklog
getting it more to everyones liking (and must say that you have done a good
job so far).

>Having had a look round other lug sites I notice that Preston and
>Lancashire uses a Cold Fusion driven cms, anyone for Cold Fusion?  :)

Oh, yes please Ian. Do you or anyone else want the take up the challange
with me? Sarcasm in case you have not guessed :)

>Ian

I will be arguing in favour of Geeklog on Thursday night and hope we can
convince everybody else down the same path by putting to rest some,
hopefully most, of their fears. However that said I am prepared to listen to
other arguments.

I hope to see you (and everyone else) there.

Kind regards,

Paul.