[SLUG] Networking

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri May 9 12:09:01 BST 2003

A big thanks to all who started me off on my first working experience of networking last night.

I didn't really see what was going on with Phil's machine but he clearly had to make alterations to bring the link up at his end.  Paul briefly outlined the commands as we left the pub but I didn't make notes and can't remember whats needed to get Mandrake set up for the network connection.  I remember him saying I needed to change a line in a file from dcop to static but which file etc I can't remember. :(

I know I'm putting Debian on this machine very soon, but If possible I'd like to get the link running on Mdk 9 first and note the details for future reference for others.

I did manage to load the module on Mdk 9 this morning by adding:

3c95x (the module name) in /etc/module

But I can't find the interfaces file.  Whether thats because I'm looking for the wrong file or because the file systems are different I couldn't say.  I suspect the latter.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks again.

Mandrake 9
Fluxbox 0.1.14
Kernal 2.4.19-16mdk           Registered Linux User: 290080