[SLUG] Debian install

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Sun May 11 18:19:01 BST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003 12:28:26 +0100
Adams, Jamie wrote:

> Sorry, im a bit lost. Have you created new disks from the net and are
> still getting errors?

Sorry for the confusion.  I originally made the 'rescue.bin' and 'root.bin' floppies from the Debian site as I couldn't get them to work from the files on the CD's.  I've successfully used them to install Debian on the machine you saw last Thursday.  These worked fine.  Later in the installation process I'm prompted to;

'Install kernal and driver modules' which I set in motion by pressing <enter>.

I'm assuming at this point the install is running from the CD rather than the 'root.bin' floppy.  Which is in /dev/fd0 at the time.

After starting the kernal and driver modules installing I see:

'Installing rescue floppy image from floppy images on mounted medium'. Which changes after a few moments to the message:

'Floppy Error, The attempt to extract the rescue floppy from the disk failed'.

So the floppy drive has been working as has the CD.  By this time I've created the partitions etc.  Which I guess are done by utilities from the CD rather than the floppy.

As I'd become stuck at this stage I thought I'd see if I could jump ahead a little and install the base system.  Just to see what would happen. :)  However I just got file corrupt messages so I stopped!

I now have the machine back as it was and await the advice of those with far more knowledge than myself.

I tried looking at Howto's etc.  But simply find myself in 'Documentation Hell'  similar to dependancy hell and just as frustrating!

I hope this clarifies my problem!

Yours hopefully.