[SLUG] Replacing MS-Office

Jamie Adams adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Mon May 19 00:17:00 BST 2003

Hi Folks,

A while ago there was a thread about Linux missing an alternative to Micros=
oft Access.

A couple of articles in this months Linux format mag reminded me about it.
Firstly, the KDE team have a new database app called Kexi, its the new
beta for KOffice 1.3. The web site (http://www.koffice.org/kexi/) says it c=
urrently supports MySQL
and CQL++ with odbc planned. It also says that knowledge of MySQL is not ne=
eded, which is a good thing for me.

The only downside for me is that it is designed to work with k-word and the=
 other apps in the koffice suite. I dont
really like the rest of koffice. Open-Office may have the ability to work w=
ith MySQL but I have not checked. Anyway, its
a step in the right direction.

Also in the mag was that the Codeweavers Crossover plugin now supports Offi=
ceXP, including Access. This will undoubtably
be good news for businesses who are wanting to migrate  but rely on
Access. It does not solve the cost implication of OfficeXP licenses
though. The cheapest OfficeXP Pro deal I could find was =A3374.99!

A gpl'ed database solution supporting Access would be a big win.

uh oh.. its kinda late.. better goto bed. :)

Jamie

adamsj at sdf-eu.org
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf-eu.org
Linux User: #314423