[SLUG] NVidia kernel module

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Sun Nov 2 20:00:58 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:19:45PM +0000, Paul Teasdale wrote:
> I have just been getting very frustrated with the official NVidia graphics
> driver for Linux. I was just about at the point of posting a question onto
> the SLUG mailing list for help when I discovered what the problem was. I have
> posted this message in case it may help someone else.
<snip>
> To cut a long and frustrating story short the latest NVidia graphics driver
> had changed my modules configuration file (/etc/modules.conf) from:
>
> alias char-major-195 NVdriver

> alias char-major-195 NVidia

The name of the kernel module changed from "NVdriver" to "nvidia" a while ago.
A mixed case module name seemed silly. A lot of people have had problems with
the latest driver being unstable (Chris included), and downgrading as you have
seems the only way to fix it.

> but the old installation did not change it back to NVdriver. Therefore when I
> complied and installed the old NVidia driver it was also loaded into memory
> by 'make install' until I rebooted. After reboot NVidia could not be loaded
> because my older copy of the NVidia driver is actually called NVdriver.

I just add the module name to /etc/modules(.autoload).

Regards,
Gav