[SLUG] Network File Sharing

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 20:43:41 BST 2003

>From: "Jamie"
>To: "Scarborough Linux User Group"
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Any ideas on what would be the best way to go about this? I have looked
> at Samba but thought it might be a bit overkill for my simple needs.
> --
> Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I do believe that you can get free ssh clients for Windows but you would
need to have the ssh deamon configured & running on your Linux box.

Another suggestion is ftp of which Windows already has a command line client
and many free GUI clients (WS_FTP LE for example). Yet again however you
would need the ftp deamon configured & running on your Linux box.

All that said I personally like Samba the best and in its simplest form it's
not difficult to setup and I personally would not view it as overkill. Once
Samba is running you can use all kinds of tools to access your Windows
shares from command line and GUI alike of which Darren has already made two
good suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Paul.