[SLUG] cat /dev/psaux locks computer

Jamie adamsj at sdf-eu.org
Sat Oct 11 21:52:59 BST 2003

I have an odd problem.

I started to install Gentoo yesterday, today I go the system laid down
and started to configure X.

I cannot for the life of me get it to work. As soon as X starts the
computer locks up tight, before anything so much as a window manager
loads. Another strange symptom is that my Numlock, Scroll and Caps keys
flash on and off.

If I 'cat /dev/psaux' (it's a ps/2 mouse), I get the same result as
starting X. If it makes any difference, I have a ps/2 attached keyboard
too.

After a few searches on Google I have found other people with the same
problem, but no answers. I actually had the same problem on Debian once
but it solved itself on a re-install.

A possible kernel issue? Any tips or pointer will be gratefuly recieved.

        adamsj at sdf-eu.org
  SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System
ICQ: 140365501 | Linux User: #314423