[SLUG] shutdown: you must be root to do that!

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri Sep 19 13:52:02 BST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:53:35PM +0100, Jamie Adams wrote:

> > would I be right to assume 'shutdown' will remain unavailable
> > to me until I add '/sbin' to my $PATH? I can't say why, but
> > that seems rather unsafe to me.
>
> You can always just type '/sbin/shutdown' at the prompt. Not as elegant
> as having it in your $path but that's how I do it. Or did I
> misunderstand the question?

Cheers Jamie,

I think you're on the right lines here, but when I tried the /sbin/shutdown
method, I'm still getting "You must be root to do this" messages.  I guess
there's something else needs to be changed.  Give myself permission to use
another group or some such?

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org