[SLUG] Thinking hats on..

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri Sep 19 13:53:01 BST 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:36:48PM +0100, Jamie Adams wrote:
<snip>
> As I remember we split the job up into a number of separate job's, each
> being a different persons responsibility. Although most of us know who
> does what, there have been a few new additions to the group who will not
> know. As far as I am aware it currently goes something like this:
>
> 	Al	= Mailing List
> 	Chris 	= Meetings
> 	Ian	= Website (though this is going to Gav right?)
>
> The contact page at the moment sends emails to an address that is no
> longer in use. Maybe the contact box could be removed and replaced with
> a list of contact's similar to the one above, with a person nominated
> for general lug inquiries.

I'm happy to have my name on the site like this.  But would ask that the
scarborough-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk address be used.  To prevent further
harvesting of my address by spammers.

> There was going to be a Marketing/Promotion guy too but he never
> appeared after drunkenly volunteering. One of a LUG's core aims is to
> promote the use of, or educate on the use of Linux / Open Source based
> products in the local community. Word of mouth and the odd newspaper
> article has served us well in the past but the fact is that there are
> probably lots of Linux users out there who simply do not know that we
> are here. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can widen awareness?

How about a bring a box day, similar to the one held by YLUG.  Could we
sweettalk YCoast college into allowing us the use of a room and maybe an
Internet connection.  We may even get them to see it as a promotion for their
'Introduction to Linux' course proposed for next year.  How about it Mike?

What about another gaming evening.  I'm not fussed about games myself, but
lots of you are!  The networking side of it interests me, and games are always
going to appeal to many.

My tuppence ha'penny worth anyway.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org