[SLUG] Re: Transparent terminals (was: printer + Cups)

djrogers at softhome.net djrogers at softhome.net
Sun Sep 21 21:31:01 BST 2003

Hi,

Using aterm I've found the best was to get colors set is to create or exit
the .Xresources file.

This seems to work fine on my (ex)redhat system, other distros may have a
similar file called .Xdefaults

If my hard-drive hadn't crashed (complete rebuild pending) I'd have sent
over a copy of mine to give an example.

Searcing on google for .Xresourse should get some decent results

Dunno if thats any help or not

Darren

Al Girling writes:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:30:36AM +0100, Phil Kershaw wrote:
>> Well done Al, I would love to know what the problem was and how you cured
>> it. Another little! challenge you may want to look at, or may have already,
>> being a fluxbox user, is transparent themes. By this I mean xterm windows
>> are transparent, you can see the background through them. I have seen them
>> on the net but when I try the theme I can never get them to work.
>
> Hi,
>
> Printer stuff on it's way!
>
> For the transparent windows you see in my screenshot on the SLUG site I used
> 'aterm'.  Never got an 'xterm' transparent. :(  Advise from others required!
> I don't know about a particular theme that's transparent.  I think the
> transparency is controlled by the 'term' itself.  Start off with 'aterm' and
> work from there.  :)
>
> For 'aterm' try;
>
> $ aterm -tr
>
> Depending on your background colour you may need to alter your fonts colour
> too. But thats simple enough with;
>
> $ aterm -tr -fg black
>
> or whatever colour suitably contrasts with your root window colour.  look at
> /etc/X11/rgb.txt for a list or play around with hex. names.  You can get all
> kinds of effects including reverse video etc.  Use 'man aterm' for details.
> The scrollbar can be made transparent too, with;
>
> $ aterm -tr -trsb -fg black
>
> These can of course be added to you ~.fluxbox/menu file or used as a shortcut
> from ~.fluxbox/keys :)
>
> The only thing I've found a little niggling, is the colour used to display
> directories within 'aterm' is quite a bold blue.  On my screen it's pretty
> fuzzy and can be hard to read.  This is mostly due to the age of my screen
> and it's resulting quality.  Just need to save my pennys for a better one!
> In the meantime, if anyone can offer advice on how colours can be changed,
> I'd love to know!
>
> Toodle pip,
>
> Al
>
> P.S.  Looking forward to the next release of Fluxbox.  Transparent menu's and
> allsorts of other goodies.  All from a window manager that's about 500Kb's.
> Read that and weep KDE users! :)
> --
> Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
> 				http://counter.li.org

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels
start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and
then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the
music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
 -- H.S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"