[SLUG] Sleeping users

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Thu Apr 8 15:33:56 BST 2004

jamie wrote:

>> There was quite a bit of participation though, see
>> http://scarborough.lug.org.uk/irc/
>>

>Thats really good. Anyway we can get the server to do that automagicaly each Wednesday?

Not without having something log the channel constantly, ie by sticking
an eggdrop bot on there and having it log everything. There are obvious
privacy issues with this though. And if it's an automatic thing it could
put up random quotes from people who don't want those quotes shown to
the world. I think It needs to be at least *checked* by a Real Person (tm).

It wouldn't be hard to semi-automate something like this and have it use
the same stylesheet as the rest of the site though. And even something
similar, but less detailed for the mailing list.

In fact it might be a good idea. It does paint a pretty picture of
community participation, which is what we should be trying to promote.
If people looking at the website don't see any signs of the community,
they won't want to join it.... argh, talking websites again.

Gav