[SLUG] Sleeping users

jamie jamie at leafy.org.uk
Thu Apr 8 16:22:30 BST 2004

>  Not without having something log the channel constantly, ie by sticking
>  an eggdrop bot on there and having it log everything. There are obvious
>  privacy issues with this though. And if it's an automatic thing it could
>  put up random quotes from people who don't want those quotes shown to
>  the world. I think It needs to be at least *checked* by a Real Person (tm).

Good point.

It is possible, or was the last time I tried, to run an eggdrop from the lug server. An eggdrop could flash up a message to new people entering the room that their conversation will be logged. Just like ringing up BT. Later projects could include moving the 'bot' offshore to India. Anyway, getting carried away..

>  It wouldn't be hard to semi-automate something like this and have it use
>  the same stylesheet as the rest of the site though. And even something
>  similar, but less detailed for the mailing list.
>
>  In fact it might be a good idea. It does paint a pretty picture of
>  community participation, which is what we should be trying to promote.

Agreed. It will need to be done by someone that attends the irc meets fairly regularly. Any volunteers?

>  If people looking at the website don't see any signs of the community,
>  they won't want to join it.... argh, talking websites again.

Yes, but in a 'constructive' way.. :)

Jamie

Linux User: #314423  |  ICQ: 140365501
Slug: http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk