[SLUG] greetings and YDL query

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Thu Apr 8 17:12:26 BST 2004

Colm wrote:  (snipped)

> My questions are about security. When I install YellowDog, how can I
> make sure that it doesn't *under any circumstances* write to the "Mac"
> disk? (I don't just mean during installation, I mean *at all*)
>
> And also the other way round. I know some software uses "scratch" areas,
> like Photoshop. Is there any system-wide way, in the Mac OS, of making
> sure that *none* of the applications will *ever* write to the "Linux"
> disk? Or else, how can I find out which programs do this? I have loads
> of software, it would take years to go through it all! I thought I would
> be able to "lock" it in Get Info, but no luck.

Hi Colm,

Two things,

1, OSX, nor Linux will use a disc/partition just because it knows it's
there. You will have to tell it to. Running OSX/Linux on the same drive
on seperate partitions or on seperate drives is both safe. The scratch
areas OSX use must simply be places on the allocated partition.
Yellowdog won't overwrite or format a partition without you explicitly
telling it to.

2, You chose which OS to boot by using a boot manager. On newer macs an
app called yaboot takes care of this. You tell it which partition holds
linux, and which partition holds you root OSX filesystem. You then get a
menu at boot time letting you choose.

I know Carl has used yellowdog, perhaps he will give you some tips for
using it on a beige mac.

Anyway, as long as you make sure you tell yellowdog to use the other
disc, and don't tell it to reformat any of your Mac partitions, you will
be fine and your data will be safe :) Just check google for "dual
booting oldworld mac" or such, to find the details of how to set up a
boot manager for os9 on oldworld (I think thats what they call beige
G3's) macs..

Rest assured, no apps other than viri will write to a partition that
isn't mounted, except disc tools of course.

Gav