[SLUG] RE: Importing .mdb files to Postgresql

Pete Redwood pete at charitydays.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 20:47:25 BST 2004

Hi all

Thanks for the response.

To clarify, what I was trying to pull to pieces was the 26 CD set of the 1881
Census produced by the Mormon Church so that I could run it on Linux. As part
of the installation process it installs Microsoft Data Access, abbreviated to
MDA. I assumed this to be the database engine of Access and therefore the
files I needed to get at would be Access format.
I could not get anything working with Wine which would enable me to get at it
but have now taken the plunge and installed Codeweavers Crossover Office.
Microsoft Access is now working a treat. The files I am looking at however
are more complex than I imagined. All the peripheral data, like places,
parishes, standard occupations are held in an Access file which I can get
into no problem but the main data is held in a Folio Infobase format which I
seem to remember from my OU days is basically a text file but only accessable
through Folio software, which costs an arm and leg. I have the OU stuff in
that format but it won't read anything else and won't run with Crossover
Office. And I can't isolate the Infobase software on the census setup. Even
if I could its doubtful that it could be made to run in a foreign
environment. So it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all your interest and input.  Chris, I will certainly try PGadmin.
Rekall has now developed into quite a useful database by the way,
particularly if you run it with Mysql. That handles all the standard database
formats but not Access.

Regards

Pete

pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk