[SLUG] mutt config

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Feb 4 10:18:46 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:45:51PM +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

[...]
> but i have been using muttrc builder  http://mutt.netliberte.org/
> to bulid my own muttrc file  doesnt do colour though  ( correct me if i am
> wrong)

I've not used this so I can't really say.  Using a muttrc builder or
someone else's muttrc is a good way to get going with mutt, but to
really get to grips with a muttrc file you may find (as I did) it better
to start with a blank muttrc file and start to add individual elements
to see exactly how they affect mutt.  You can do this without affecting
your working everyday .muttrc by creating another file; say .muttrc.test
and calling it like 'mutt -F .muttrc.test'.  This will run mutt using
your test rc file to try out all those funky colours etc. ;)

> and what is the # Defining my mailing list addresses  do?
> at the bottom of your muttrc file?

The lines below this subtitle like:

"subscribe scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk", defines the addresses I'm
subscribed too.   This allows me to use 'L' to reply to the defined list
instead of 'r' which will create a reply to the individual sending the
message.  There's more to it than that, but that is the most obvious
thing it controls.

Sorry for the delay in this reply.

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org