[SLUG] mutt again

Chris Sutcliffe chris at snbcomputers.com
Wed Feb 18 15:09:38 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 13:53, ****Fintan**** wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 Feb 2004 11:04 am, Adams, Jamie wrote:
[snip]
> > The fetchmail homepage (http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/) says that
> > it comes in the fetchmail package. Are you sure it's not already
> > installed?

Try typing 'which fetchmail' (without the quotes) if fetchmail is
already installed you will see returned something like
'/usr/bin/fetchmail.'
see man which:

WHICH(1)
WHICH(1)

NAME
       which - locate a command

SYNOPSIS
       which [-a] filename ...

'which' tells you where the executable file is but 'whereis fetchmail'
will give you the paths to fetchmail and associated files.

see man whereis:

NAME
       whereis  -  locate the binary, source, and manual page files for
a com-
       mand

SYNOPSIS
       whereis [ -bmsu ] [ -BMS directory...  -f ] filename ...

> typed in fetchmail in terminal it says File /root/.fetchmailrc must have no
> more than -rwx--x--- (0710) permissions.
> same as when i am not logged in as root

My permissions for .fetchmailrc are:

-rwx--x---    1 chris    chris         338 Sep 22 09:14 .fetchmailrc

which is indeed 710

if ls -l .fetchmailrc doesn't produce the above permissions try

chmod 710 .fetchmailrc

> typed fetchmailconf  file not found

'whereis fetchmailconf' on my system (Debian) produces:

fetchmailconf: /usr/bin/fetchmailconf
/usr/share/man/man1/fetchmailconf.1.gz

typing 'fetchmailconf' runs a little config program for fetchmail
'surprise, surprise'.

All I ever did though was to edit .fetchmailrc in my $HOME partition and
created the following file:
#poll pop3.uklinux.net proto pop3:
#       user "cbsutcliffe", with password "********", is "chris" here;

poll pop3.uk.worldonline.com proto pop3:
        user "chrissut.worldonline.co.uk", with password "********", is
"chris"
here;

poll mail.snbcomputers.com proto pop3:
        user "chris at snbcomputers.com", with password "jonMad02", is
"chris" here
;

if fetchmail is correctly installed and you have the correct permissions
for  .fetchmailrc, you should beable to type 'fetchmail' for it to go
collect your mail.

You could also run fetchmail as a demon.
e.g.

fetchmail -d 3600 -t 300
  this will drop into the background and check your mail every hour
  (3600 secs) until you next reboot or kill it. Choose your own
  time to suit your needs. The -t 300
  tells it to timeout after 300 secs on any retrieval
  this stops fetchmail stalling on a dead server

Hope this helps

regards

Chris
--