[SLUG] Talks / Demonstrations

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 19:26:15 GMT 2004

On Friday 20 Feb 2004 19:05, Jonathan Worthington wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> When I'm back, I have a laptop that's missing Linux, so if somebody wants
> to do a talk on "Installing Linux on a laptop."  Just kidding...unless
> someone has the urge.  I'd also be interested to hear about playing DVDs
> (movies) on Linux...anyone got any suggestions (Google aside ;-)?
>
> Jonathan

I use a couple of GUI programs to play DVDs namely mplayer and xine. They both
work well and I don't really have a big preference other than saying mplayer
can be used to play many different formats including DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3 and
Quicktime etc. Xine can  be used to play DVD but I'm not really sure if it
will play any other formats (however it probably can).

I did have to compile and install libcss to allow our DVD puchases to be
played however it was very simple and went smoothly. The most annoying thing
was getting sound to work in mplayer on my laptop but eventually I worked out
the problem.

Maybe we'll see you at the March meeting?

Kind regards,

Paul.