[SLUG] intro to linux course

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Jan 7 18:21:16 GMT 2004

Late last year I received a leaflet from Yorkshire Coast College with a
few details of its Part-Time Prospectus.  Included in this is an
Introduction to Linux.  I enquired at the time and again a couple of
days ago, which the resulted in me receiving this outline of the course
contents from Andy Esmond.

What is Linux?
Linux distributions
Hardware requirements for Linux
Linux installation
XWindows
Printing with Linux
Networking with Linux
Creating and administering users

Obviously given the short (21 hr) nature of the course each subject will
not be covered in great depth! Most of our experience is with suse, which
I suspect will be used for the course.

Planned start date is 16/03/04,  18.00-21.30 hrs, one session per week for
6 weeks.

Thanks for your interest,

Andy Esmond
Lecturer in Computing

The only price I have is from the leaflet from last year which quotes
£42.  Clearly, for many people, this course will be rather basic, but we
may have some who've been lurking on the list, curious about Linux.  For
whom this may be an ideal start.

I plan to go myself, simply to gain a more structured basic knowledge of
Linux.  Also, as Jamie has mentioned promoting Linux within the local
community, it seems a good chance to try and forge closer links between
SLUG and YCcollege.  Something which could be of great benefit to both
groups.

If you are interested, you can contact Andy Esmond at YCcollege on;

Tel: 01723 372105

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org