[SLUG] USB storage

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Fri Jan 9 00:27:01 GMT 2004

Hi Matt,

>  Does anyone know how to use these USB storage devices with linux. I need
> VERY simple means on backing up a datadase (about 4.5MB as a Gzipped tar)
so
> that my staff can back up without me being there. At the moment I have to
use
> K3b to write it to a CD-RW. and with the new database I have implemented
> (I've managed to convert both computers at work to SuSE 8.2, HURAAY, and
an
> SME server and written an easy 2 use mysql management system in php) I
don't
> think they will take too kindly to backing up in this way.
> I have two main questions
> 1/ will it just plug into the usb port and be instantly recognised and
I can't speak for all USB storage devices.  I do know that both my older and
newer Archos USB storage devices have been instantly recognised and mounted
in Mandrake 9.0+.  I imagine it'd work in SuSE too.

> 2/ can they just click and drag this file into it as you could a mounted
hard
> drive?
Yes, USB storage devices show up like mounted hard drives in my experience.
You may want to look around the web for info about the USB storage device
you are considering using and its Linux support though.

Jonathan