[SLUG] mutt pop host error (was .)

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri Jan 23 12:43:34 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:37:33PM +0000, ****Fintan**** wrote:
> lol
> sorry
> managed to get kmail working

Well done!

[...]

> can't get to collect mail from pop address i get the error pop host is not
> defined so anybody tell me where i am going wrong?
>
> fintan

Hmm, hard to say as it depends on what you've done.  I'd hazard a guess
and say you need to use 'fetchmail' or 'getmail' or something similar to
retrieve your mail from your ISPs pop server.

I use fetchmail myself, which is simple enough to set up.  It only
requires a file .fetchmail containing:

poll "your-isps-pop-server-address"
protocol pop3
username "your-username"
password "your-password"

You'd be well advised to use Procmail with this also, which will
increase your mail sorting beyond the dreams of the average M$ user.  In
which case include:

mda "/path/to/procmail -d %s"

Thats all I use!  You can add as many mail accounts to this as you like.
I'm sure this can be set up to collect mail at regular intervals, but I
call it from a simple bash script when I want my mail.

I used the excellent Procmail tutorial by Nancy McGough to get started.
Look at http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/ to get started.
You should consider SpamAssassin too.

It's a lot to digest: I know, but by using these tools you'll have a
mail system which can be tailored exactly to your needs.

Mine's only a simple set up which could be fine tuned _a lot_.  You'll
probably get there before I do! :)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org