[SLUG] greetings and questions from a young penguin

Colm Osiris colm at madcatsolutions.com
Fri Jul 9 01:59:52 BST 2004

hi everybody

some time ago I was asking about installing Yellow Dog Linux on my Mac.
Well, it's taken ages (won't bore you with the details), but I finally
have YDL 3.0.1 up and running.

I looked up young penguins, and apparently they're called chicks; well,
that I'm definitely not!

Now what???! These are some questions I have - any advice gratefully
received ...

The startup DOS-like thingy (I think it's called Kudzu?) keeps
complaining about ethernet ports eth0 and eth1, but I don't know why.
I'm not planning on using ethernet in the near future, so can I disable
this test?

The KDE interface looks very chunky on my 20" screen - can I change
this? The screen will display up to 1280 x 1024, though I usually set it
to 1152 x 870. But over on Linux, it'll only go up to 1024 x 768. It's
an Apple 'Multiple Scan 20 Display', which was recognised and configured
during installation. I don't remember an option to set resolutions.

The colours all go funny when I open some applications (eg. Mozilla,
where the 'dock' goes pink). What can I do about this? Is this related
to the above problem?

How do I get online (I have a dial-up modem)? At this stage I just want
to be able to surf the net. I'm not ready to move my email over just
yet! (Currently using my machine's Mac face!)

How do I get from the Linux OS to the Mac OS without rebooting? The
other way round is easy, using the 'BootX' control panel, which also
cuts in at boot time, as soon as the machine has recognised the System.

How do I shutdown Linux, as opposed to just my username, without having
to reboot to get into the Mac OS, just so I can shut the thing down?

Can I make a shared folder, which can be written to and read by both
OSes? (Otherwise I'm going to get through an awful lot of CDs!)

Not bad after less than a day, eh! :-)

Regards

Colm Osiris