[SLUG] Alias

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Wed Mar 3 10:17:20 GMT 2004

> nice website
> and i have read the tutorial its excellent and very easy to understand
> the command line alias was very useful
> so now i have a question and it the mail alias
>
> i know al told me but i have forgotten
> i know how alias work if i want to type al and it put al full email
> address for me to send
> but the thing is i want to know for example
> my mum send me an email it comes as Mrs r Newton
> when i use my mutt mail the from reads MUM and not Mrs r newton
>
> Fintan

Hi Fintan,

By this do you mean when viewing the message index; instead of seeing:

 65 N F Mar 03 Mrs R Newton      (  23) Excellent cake recipe! :)

You see:

 65 N F Mar 03 Mum		 (  23) Excellent cake recipe! :)

If this is the case.  Then you need to edit the alias you use for your
mother in either .muttrc or .mail_aliases depending on where they are
stored on your system.  The easiest way is to make a new alias for her by
keying 'a' when you have a mail from her open or selected in the index
view.  This will take you through the alias creating procedure.  Use Mum
of whatever you prefer in the 'real name' section to display as my
second example.

Further reading available in  3.2.  Defining/Using aliases of the Mutt
Manual.

HTH

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org