[SLUG] Some ideas for the SLUG website

Ian Eade at IGM ieade at igmwebdesign.info
Thu Mar 18 09:26:32 GMT 2004

After chatting to Al (and Gavin and Chris) about how the slug website
keeps changing (formatting wise) but the content remains static/out of
date it occurs to me that time ought to be spent on editing/adding
content and not on the formatting. To this end I have put together a
simple PHP template system which removes the need to touch anything but
the content, thus allowing someone to add content in a matter of minutes
without having to deal with bucket loads of hard coded HTML.

Other benefits include:
The site formatting can be changed without touching the content
The content can be added/changed without touching the site formatting
A Print Page option is available
Increased accuracy
Increased scalability
And probably some more etc

Essentially it’s a case of separating code from content and taking the
donkey work out of editing/adding content, however as its not me that
has to spend time adding/editing content then its no real issue to me.
However, the time taken for the person who has to spend time wrestling
with flat pages when they could be dealing with content impacts on
anyone who wants to submit content or visit the site and read the
content.

I have uploaded the pages to a temporary site where you can see the
various files and options:

http://www.hammondgallery.co.uk/slug/

Any comments are welcomed

Ian