[SLUG] Licence for lug documentation

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Mon May 3 15:50:22 BST 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:50:45AM +0100, Jamie Adams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been thinking recently about a licence for the documentation
> that is on the lug website. It was mentioned briefly at last nights
> IRC meet but we didn't have a real discussion about it.
>
> At the moment the documentation is not covered by any licence, which
> is of course fine. However, if we are going to be taking part in the
> Software Freedom Day, we should experience an increase of visitors to
> the website. I think it would be good to show that as supporters of
> open source software, we are also open with our documentation. Two
> licences spring to mind for me. The Creative Commons Licence [1] and
> the GNU Free Documentation Licence [2].
>
> Would anyone that currently has docs on the site object to them being
> placed under licence? Any thoughts on the above licences, or any
> others?
>
> Jamie

Hi folks,

While the piece by me about the mailing list is included on the
documentation page.  I hardly think it requires licensing, but if you
would like to do so for consistency.  Then please do.

The vi/vim tutorial I'm working on is a different thing.  I was thinking
of the GNU Free Documentation Licence for this.  I need to have a proper
read through this as I intend to use a couple of pieces of poetry and
song lyrics as examples to work with, and don't won't to get in a mess
with already copyrighted work.  I'm hoping an appropriate credit for the
authors will be enough.

I have made progress with the tutorial, although I did have a small
set-back the other day.  Re-reading my last attempt showed exactly how
effective sleep deprivation is at reducing my ability to think!

Still, it's heading in the right direction.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling			Registered Linux User: 290080
				http://counter.li.org