[SLUG] Software Freedom Day

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Sun May 23 14:25:02 BST 2004

Hi folks,

At last weeks meeting the SFD was discussed at some length.  I think I'm
right to say the current position regarding this is that we'll get a
space booked for the day, but we are waiting for the organisers of the
event to produce the relevant promotional goods for us to distribute.
Also we would wait till a time closer to the event before burning copies
of the 'OpenCD' to ensure the latest and greatest versions of each
piece of software get onto the disk.

The contents of the disk itself were discussed at some length as several
of us are a little surprised at the number of M$ only pieces of Open
Source Software the disk contains.  The possibility of creating our own
disk containing OSS for Linux which has been ported to M$ to encourage
the transition to Linux was discussed, but put aside for the moment due
to lack of time.  Still a worthy project which I hope will come to
fruition.

For the big day itself, having a M$ machine set up to demonstrate the
contents of the disk is a must.  Otherwise I see most of the disks
handed out being treated with the same respect reserved for AOL disks.
;)  Something else I've been thinking of is the possibility of a second
machine running Linux, but with a window manager which can be made to
look like a M$ desktop.  I realise even an average M$ user will notice
the difference, but my idea is as an introduction to Linux for people
who think Linux is;

a) only for geeks.
b) too difficult to use.
c) doesn't have any games available for it.

Which are the reasons I always hear from people for not using it.  If
such a machine had a couple of other accounts set up to show say a
default KDE/GNOME installation and another account to show how the
machine might be used on an every day basis.  We might be in a position
to demonstrate the system better and lead to come and try it days,
install fests etc.

Please don't take this as an attempt to hi-jack the SFD, but as a
suggestion to expand upon a basic introduction to OSS.

Your thoughts please.

Al Girling
Linux User: #290080            <http://counter.li.org>
Scarborough Linux User Group   <http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk>