[SLUG] second hard disc not showing

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 08:56:35 GMT 2004

> In order for linux to use it you need to mount it. This is the thing
> that made my head whirr a little on switching. Everything in linux
> appears to reside in the same sort of logical filesystem. In windows you
> may have c: , d: , e: etc... however in linux it appears that you mount
> all drives to being subdirectories of '/'. A convenient place to mount
> drives is into '/mnt' as that keeps things in the same place, however
> they could afaik be anywhere.

Yerss, I've kinda 'got' that now, and I've an email pending to the uni
about it. It's such a basic thing, yet we used Linux for three years at
uni without anyone saying much about that. I know we're supposed to be
independent learners, but at the same time, they stuff all the hours with
required work. I'm irritated that the reality is, I didn't know the basics
of Linux when the opportunity was there.

> To mount:
>
> 1) Create a directory in which you want the contents of hdb1 (or
> whatever the number of the fat drive) to appear - 'e.g. /mnt/drive2'.
> 2) As root, and assuming that you want the drive to be available in the
> same mountpoint when you reboot, edit '/etc/fstab' and add the line:
> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/drive2 vfat users,owner,ro,umask=000 0 0
> 3) At the terminal, as root type 'mount -a'
>
> This should then mount /dev/hdb* at /mnt/drive2 ...

By jove it works. Oh joy everlasting.

I didn't think it had. But it was because I started the line with /mnt.
Silly me. Must concentrate.

Super smashing lovely.

But don't think that's the end of the questions. Oh no sirree!