[SLUG] I'm online

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 09:04:58 GMT 2004

Hi

Wow. I'm online with my RH9 installation. Next I need to work out how to
install GnuCash. Installing software is in hour 21 of my SAMS teach
yourself Red Hat Linux 9 in 24 hours book. I'm in hour six atm. Inbetween
here and there are managing printing, LaTeX (wow), Lynx, Pine, telnet,
ssh, ftp, head, tail, sed, shell scripts, the Gnome desktop, OpenOffice
(that's one I already know), networking, system admin stuff, security, and
finally I can install software. Wow. I'm genuinely really excited.

One question. Where can I buy some aerosol degunker? Every now and then I
find a situation where electrical switch cleaner, something that will
clean electrical contacts, would be useful. But right now I need something
to spray inside the greasy hole (sorry, I know it's early for such terms)
underneath my chair leg where the wheel used to be so I can araldite the
wheel back in the hole. I tried Moores, they sent me round the corner to
Berriman and Chapman, and they sent me to some trade electrician's place
pretty much behind Crag and Moor, and they sent me back to Moores again.
All with blank faces. Obviously something like Maplin would do it, but ...

The other thing I'm thinking is I may have to install my first CPU, fan
and so on, so I need the stuff to clean the parts, and the stuff that
gunks them together so the heat transfers. That, I can get from the place
I'll order the cpu from, but they didn't seem to sell the electrical
cleaning stuff. I know the stuff I need for the CPU installation is
different from the stuff I need for the chair, I just wondered if I might
be able to get any of it in Scarborough.