[SLUG] First system crash

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 12:11:58 GMT 2004

Hi y'all

I just had my first system crash. RH9, Gnu, I had a graphical session
running Mozilla, and I was in the first console in emacs. When I
ctrl-alt-F7'd to get to the graphical session my screen was black. I could
use the mouse, pressing enter moved the cursor down a line, and I could
crl-alt-F1 back to my original shell.

On that black screen, I pressed ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the graphical
session, but that didn't work.

ctrl-alt-f1, then ctrl-alt-del booted it .. we were taught that in the
first year at uni.

Any comments? What might have caused it? How can I stop it happening? Did
I react the right way?

Cheers