[SLUG] Favourite FTP software?

Gavin Baker gavbaker at acm.org
Wed Nov 3 19:31:31 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 11:17 -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi again
>
> Sorry to clog the list. Actually, I presume this is what it's for, do
> correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm sure I'll calm down once I've got
> myself up and running .. until then .....
>
> What FTP software do you use?

ncftp. It's a command line app, but the best ftp client I've used. It
also comes with ncftpbookmarks, so you can browse your ftp bookmarks,
ncftpget/ncftpput/ncftpls/ncftpbatch and ncftpspooler, which are
selfexplanatory.

If your using gnome, you can just put an ftp:// url into nautilus (or
select file->connect to server if it's a fairly recent gnome), and you
will get an icon on your desktop for the ftp site. And similarly with
kde's konqueror.

There are also kernel patches to allow you to mount(8) ftp sites on your
local filesystem :)

Gav