[SLUG] Interesting problem

Phil Kershaw pmk at kershaw.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 16:51:34 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I thought I'd share this little problem with you in case it catches
anyone else.
I have a small network at home with iptables and portsentry running on
my Linux gateway, connected to braodband. In addition to my Linux
workstations I have a couple of windows XP machines. My daughters
machine needed upgrading to service pack 2, so with a couple of hours to
spare I thought I would do it. All seemed to go well until I tried to
connect to the network again.

I could not connect to samba or the internet. I could ping my other xp
workstation but not my Linux server. After a lot of messing about and
hurling abuse at windows I checked the logs on my Linux server.
Portsentry had reported an attack alert and dropped the offending ip.
The offending ip was the XP machine I had just put service pack 2 on!
The windows upgrade must have scanned the network and as far as
portsentry was concerned I was being attacked.

Ha-Ho you live and learn :-)

Regards

Phil