[SLUG] A possible speaker, do you want her?

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 18:36:11 GMT 2004

On Monday 15 Nov 2004 10:44, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> I have a friend who lives locally called Dr. Farrell Burnett who is a
> spectacular brain-head PhD in intellectual property and, while she
> may not know Linux, comes from our side of the argument. I've
> contacted her and she would be more than happy to come and talk to us
> about copyright, patents, and all that stuff in relation to software.
>
> Do we want that? In the January meeting? I want her to concentrate on
> what's happening with relation to the European patents thing and then
> maybe we can throw it to a discussion. What do people think?

Hi John,

I think this would be a really good idea as I'm quite interested in this
kind of thing.

I don't know how closely you follow this kind of thing but rumours are a
plenty that this is the way Microsoft is now looking to attempt to
thwart the Linux onslaught (ie: claiming & enforcing patents).

Also Sun is one to be watched at the moment. Allegedly they don't know
which way to turn regarding open source software and it was a great
loss to them when Novell bought SUSE (with help from IBM apparently)
because of implications for their Sun Java Desktop System. (For those
that don't know this is a problem for Sun because their Java Desktop
version of Linux is based on SUSE). I read an article a few weeks ago
that Sun & Microsoft were burying the hatchet and looking to fight open
source software with patents. This has many implications such as
OpenOffice and Java etc.

These are not the exact articles I have read in the last few weeks but
are on the same theme (and just as worrying):

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/16/HNopenoffice_1.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17586

This patent thing not only affects OSS but smaller commercial software
developers such as the company I work for. It would be very nice to
find out more info. Thanks John.

Regards,

Paul.

--