[SLUG] Network

Pete Redwood pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 13:48:56 GMT 2004

Hi all
I'm struggling to get two computers in the same room to talk to each
other. Both have ethernet cards, both computers connected by network
cable, both machines running SuSE 9.1.
I was reading the other week that all that was needed was to give both
machines a static IP address and then log in to that address. I am
missing something? SuSE reports that the network cards are configured as
DHCP and therefore require a DHCP server. Follow instructions to set up
server, click button to start server - message "Error, server cannot be
started." Try the NFS route, same result. I can't find any way in SuSE
to configure as static IP. As soon as I try to set up a server on either
machine they hang on bootup with the message "No network found".
Any suggestions?

Pete Redwood