[SLUG] Mandrake 10 OS unable run Amaya

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Oct 25 08:11:22 BST 2004

To Scarborough Linux users,

Ive just had Mandrake 10 installed by one of your group, being strictly a
know-nothing newbie migrating from Windows OS.
And I cannot get Amaya web browser/editor running on my computer.

This is mandrakes own packaged version of Amaya:

http://fr.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/10.0/contrib/i586/amaya-8.2-1mdk.i586.html

This page includes a list of dependencies to help the amaya program download
to function. This links to a list of versions of the first dependency
required ( libredland ). From this list, more or less further dependencies
were required before the Mandrake OS would try to install amaya properly on
my computer -- which it never succeeded in doing, despite trying most of the
dependencies that seemed at all applicable.

Usually the run command and terminal program response was:
 amaya: command not found.

 I tried downloading the amaya program again with the
other of two amaya dependencies listed  ( 14-2 instead of 12-2 ). This didnt
need a further dependency, libraptor ( which all the other versions of
libredland dependency seem to do ) but the
 result was the same.
 I deleted the amaya program and downloaded it again. This time it didnt ask
for dependencies presumably picking up those already
 downloaded. A panel warned of bad signatures. I went ahead anyway.
 This time the amaya icon appeared on the menu and was installed but
 the attempt to open it failed. Run command said: irrecoverable error.
 So I uninstalled the program and the libraptor and
 libredland dependencies.
 I re-started the computer and downloaded amaya
 program and picked a
 sourceforge dependency ( the last on the list apart
 from the 2 mandrake
 dependencies) because I noticed it was highlighted.
 Then I needed the
 libdb-3.2.so dependency. The nearest was 4.1so  Then I got a message about
changes, which I okayed, resulting in a
'bad signatures' warning again. I went ahead anyway, but with no amaya icon
appearing and being told again: command not found.

I tried another sourceforge ( libredland 14.1 roughly speaking ) dependency
( one of several on the list that just required, further, a 'raptor'
download. I downloaded a particular raptor dependency available. But this
replied thattoo left command not found, for amaya.

 In short four sets of dependencies  failed to
 get the amaya program running.
There is another set of dependencies on the libredland list. The third one
down is typical, requiring libssl.so.4 Only an update of that is available
( on the original page for the amaya download) and you are asked on a panel
to ok a mass of changes. It didnt seem likely to work. I dont know whether
you think I should try it.

  Thankyou for trying to help, if you can let me know whether or not you can,
as amaya is pretty essential to my work.

Yours sincerely,
 Richard Lung.